Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Honeymoon, Days 1 - 3

After about 6.5 hours of travel (air time plus the 45 minute drive from the Lihue airport to our condo in Princeville), I couldn't have been more ready to enjoy beautiful Kauai.

Day 1 - Saturday, August 15th:
Stopped in Kapaa, on our way to Princeville, to get some basic food items for the condo. We were advised to purchase the brunt of our groceries in Kapaa as opposed to Princeville because of how expensive Princeville is (and we're SO glad we listened to that advice!) Arrived at our condo, located on the edge of a cliff, overlooking the ocean. Endless views of the beach to the North, East and West. And the sunrises and sunsets? Insanely gorgeous.

Anyway, got to our condo & got ourselves situated--clothes hung in the closet, put away in the dresser, toiletries in the shower & in the bathroom, food items put away. Changed into our suits and headed to the pool to layout and take a quick dip. Then, it was off to Hanalei--the most adorable little town--and had a decent dinner at Bouchon. Matt ordered the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and I ordered the Coconut Shrimp. Both of our meals were so-so...definitely not someplace we plan on visiting again on our trip. Though the 22oz local Pale Ale, the Suicide Chocolate Cake (Matt) and the Fried Bananas (me) made up for the average meal ;)

After dinner, came home and decided it was time for bed--it was already 8:30 Kauai time, which is 11:30 San Diego time. We were exhausted after a full day of travel. And you know how when you were a kid, and you were going somewhere really, really exciting like Disneyland or a theme park of sorts? And you just had so much adrenaline running through your veins because you were so excited and so happy? And then, after all of the fun of the day, you would just crash? That was us on Saturday night.

Day 2 - Sunday, August 16th:
Woke up bright and early at 5:30am (8:30am San Diego time...so cut us some slack here). Laid in bed snuggling until 6:30. Made some yummy breakfast (fried egg with cheese and bacon on an English muffin for Matt and strawberry preserves and butter on an English muffin for me). Sat out on the lanai with our breakfast and coffee (Matt) and hot tea (me) and enjoyed the warm weather, beautiful ocean and watched the sun come up. We were also joined by a hen and her six chicks. They have since joined us every morning for breakfast on the lanai, and the hen even takes food straight from Matt's hands now. I know, I know...we're totally those tourists that piss off the locals because we're feeding the wild chickens, but they're just too cute and too fun not to!

Headed back to Hanalei after breakfast & showers to rent snorkeling gear for the week and made our way to Tunnels Beach, a recommended place to snorkel in our "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" loaned to us by our friends Lou & Stacey. Matt taught me how to snorkel, even though it totally freaked me out at first. I would hardly put my head in the water, and even then, I was breathing so fast that I was having trouble breathing at all! Quickly got the hang of it and we were off to discover the coral reef and other sea life just below the oceans' surface. Who knew all of that amazing stuff was just under your feet? Very cool. After snorkeling, we laid out on the beach, got rained on two times in complete downpours, and took off after a few hours and headed home.

Got back to the condo, read and relaxed on the couch for a bit (and perhaps enjoyed a tropical, fruity cocktail or two) and then headed down to Sealodge Beach, which is just down a quick trail from our condo. Super secluded, super pretty. Went snorkeling there, where we saw five Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles! There was a baby one that I swam alongside and who started playing with me--a game of tag of sorts. Sooooo cute and sooooo cool! Laid out there for a bit (and, in true Kauai fashion, got poured on again!) and then hiked back up to the condo to make dinner...spaghetti and french bread it was. Yum.

Rented "I Love You, Man" from the Netflix booth at the grocery store (best invention, ever!! And only $1 per night!) but of course, I fell asleep and Matt woke me up and dragged me to bed after it was over. I didn't even get to eat my Banana Split Haagen Daaz ice cream :(


Day 3 - Monday, August 17th:
Woke up at 6:30 again, enjoyed breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon & strawberries) and sat outside on the lanai with our coffee and tea...and our hen & baby chicks ;) One of my good friends from my San Luis Obispo days, Danny, happened to be on Kauai with his girlfriend this week as well, visiting family. They had scheduled a kayak tour to the Wailua Waterfall and wanted to know if we would join them. I had heard from several friends that this was an awesome tour, so we went on it. Departed from Kapaa at 11am, kayaked 2 miles up the Wailua River until it got too shallow to continue, beached the kayak and hiked up a muddy, slippery, wet trail to the most amazing 100 foot waterfall, complete with pool. We sat on a big rock to eat our lunch and then stripped down and hopped into the pool. The waterfall is one of the most beautiful things that is naturally occurring in nature that I've ever seen! The power behind it, the wind it blows up when you're near it, the pure beauty of it...it was simply breathtaking!

We got back to our cars at 3:45 and after our goodbyes with Danny & Katie, Matt and I headed back to Hanalei. (Can you tell Hanalei is one of our favorite little places to hang out ?) We were in search of true Hawaiian Shave Ice (shave--NOT shaved, mind you). I got pineapple with passion fruit flavor with a scoop of Macadamia Nut ice cream on the bottom. Can you say heavenly? Soooo delicious! From there, a pit stop at Foodland for a frozen pizza (I know, I know...) and another $1 Netflix rental.

Enjoyed our Garlic Chicken CPK pizza, several beers, and watched "Valkyrie," with Tom Cruise. This time, I stayed awake for most of it, but missed the last 20 minutes or so. Because, shockingly, I fell asleep. Oh! But I did get to enjoy my Banana Split Haagen Daaz ice cream!

As I write this, it is 8:30am on Tuesday, August 18th. We're stuck indoors because Tropical Storm Guillermo has launched his full attack on Kauai--pouring down rain, thunder and lightening. Very cool to watch the calm, beautiful blue ocean morph into an angry, ugly black hole.

For now, we're going to lounge and wait it out...snuggling and loving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP