Wednesday, October 14, 2009

101 in 1001 - #70: Join a Bible Study Group

Last night, I went to my first all-women's small group Bible Study. It's a group of usually 8-10 married women who meet every Tuesday night at my friend Julia's house. I met Julia 6 years ago when I was working in real estate & she was designing structural plans for the homes the builder I worked for was building. Anyway, Mr. Lukie and I ran into her at the Love & Respect Conference a few weeks ago. I sent her an email letting her know it was great to see her & asking how she liked the Conference. That led to her inviting me to this Tuesday night Bible Study.

I was nervous. This is a group of women who have been meeting since the beginning of summer. They know each other, they have secrets and intimacy. They share very private, very sensitive things with one another. How would they take to an outsider? (I know what you're thinking...these girls are Christian girls...and isn't it, like, a fundamental thing that Christian girls are accepting and welcoming and non-judgmental? But still...I'm a girl, with not a whole lot of girlfriends. These types of things make me uncomfortable).

There were only 4 of us there last night. We met at Julia's house at 7 and we are studying The Power of a Praying Wife. I actually started reading this the weekend of the Conference and then the Bible Study sort of fell into my lap a few weeks later. Interesting how God works in ways like this. We watched the video that corresponded with the chapter we were reading for last night, then went out and grabbed a bite to eat (and a few of us might have had a margarita, but I'm not naming any names!) and we just talked. And listened. And empathized. And offered suggestions. And laughed about how absolutely, completely normal it is to be sitting on the bathroom floor on a Friday night, four months into your marriage, bawling and asking yourself if you made the biggest mistake of your life by getting married. That no one talks about these things. That being married, especially a newlywed, is HARD.

I am so, so, so glad I went. I got home and was telling Mr. Lukie all about my experience and what we studied. I had tears in my eyes, I was so excited and feeling so full and so blessed. In one night...a mere three hours...I was more transparent, more open & honest, more vulnerable with 3 strangers, than I have been with many of my friends, ever.

I am really looking forward to going next Tuesday night and meeting the rest of the girls. I feel a huge transformation, on the inside, coming on. I know God is going to work in me to mold me into the person He wants me to be. He will reveal my gifts and my direction and I cannot wait to see what those are.

2 comments:

  1. that is so awesome!!! There's nothing better than a group of great girlfriends that you feel like you can spill your heart to.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP