Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meet Cami!

Back in August of 2008, I ran down to the Lexus dealership, walked in & told them what I wanted, where I wanted my payments to be, and that I was not putting any money down. Four hours later, I drove off the lot in a brand new Lexus IS 250, affectionately referred to as "Lexi" in our house. Isn't she pretty?


Well, this was before Mr. Lukie & I were super serious, so I didn't ask him to come along for the big day, let alone even tell him I was going to do this until I showed up at his house the next day in Lexi. (Note: he was none too pleased about this...what can I say? I'm an Independent Woman!)

Fast forward 14 months later and here we are, all married and stuff, and putting every last penny we earn into paying off our debt, using the Total Money Makeover Plan. My Our (ha! I love how it goes from "me" and "my" to "we" and"our" with marriage) $400 car payment each month made us both almost cry a little. $400 a month for a stupid car?! When you're in debt?! Makes no sense at all! I don't need a luxury car to drive to and from work in! I'm 27-years old, for crying out loud!

So, we decided to see what we could do about getting rid of Lexi (who, by the way, was a leased car--not even financed) and either 1- purchase a car with cash so we have no car payment or 2- purchase a car that we finance with a payment under $300 a month. We figured that since my car was a lease, we would be completely upside down in it and have no luck getting a trade-in or purchase price on her that would even come close to paying off the balance remaining.

But we were blessed...SO blessed this weekend! We first took her to Carmax, where we were given a price of $25,000. That left us $1,000 upside down. Bummer, but in a MUCH better position than we anticipated being in. So, we trotted on over to Lexus, quote from Carmax in hand (ha! bargaining tool!) and in just a few short minutes, upon review of our credit, were told that they would match Carmax...AND add in the $1,000 that we were deficient and just pay the entire balance due on Lexi, if we purchased a vehicle from them. SCORE!

We searched the Certified Pre-Owned lot and looked at a 1993 Acura something-or-other, a 2001 Toyota Solara, and then...a 2001 Toyota Corolla. It had 107,000 miles on it. It was $6,000. We could pay cash for her! No car payment! Super low insurance! In I hopped to test drive her. No power windows. No power locks. But she had A/C! And she was an automatic. She definitely took a little longer to accelerate on the freeway than Lexi, but, she ran, was in good condition and would get me from Point A to Point B. I was sold!

Mr. Lukie? Not so much. He tells Car Salesman that while it is a great deal and we could pay cash for her, that he just didn't feel safe putting such precious cargo in that car (in unison, now....Awwwwww!)

Off Car Salesman went into the office to chat with his boss. And out he came, 5 minutes later, grinning from ear to ear. "Okay. What would you say if I told you we would pull a 2008 Toyota Camry LE with approximately 20,000 miles on it, any color you want, for $300 a month?"

SOLD! So here she is, our new little addition to the family. Of course, she's already got her fire sticker on--it was the first thing that had to be done, to initiate her into the family :)

(Pictured is Mr. Lukie, carefully placing the fire sticker on Cami upon her arrival home)

Do you name your cars, or are we the only goofball couple that does this? And for the Fire Wives who read...do you all own white vehicles? Mr. Lukie's truck is white and he was very pleased that I chose white. And I'd say 90% of the vehicles parked in the fire station lot are white. Just an observation.

10 comments:

  1. How awesome for you guys that's a great deal!! No we name our cars too we have a beat up old paid for blazer named buster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on a new car! Whoot! I love new cars. :).

    We kinda name our cars. But mostly, we add "STER" to the end. Like i call my Saab the Saabster. Kurt calls is a "saab story". Get it? Sob story? hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new car :)

    It seems as though the "FF color" here in red...red trucks always seem to be parked at the station. Must be a local thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. White is my fav. colour of car. I've had 2. The one I have now, the white was not a true white, more of an off white which I wasn't a fan of. Adams new vehicle would have looked amazing in white, I tried, but I couldn't talk him into it, lol. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great deal! Glad everything worked out!

    BTW, my Jetta was Betsy. I haven;t named my G. Cherokee yet, but my friend named her G. Cherokee Bernice- "Berni".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!

    I call my Scion the Toaster because well, it kind of looks like one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My civic is named Civy :)
    Yay on the new-to-you car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've never ever named our cars... I think that's so cute though :)

    Congrats on the new car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cutie cute car. You guys are tres responsible!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP