Saturday, November 21, 2009

NaBloPoMo - Day 21

Our Story - My Version


It was October 2007 and Mr. Lukie was dragged out by a few friends. My roommate was going out to meet a guy she was casually dating and asked me to come along. It just so happened that Mr. Lukie's friends were part of the group that my roommate was meeting up with!

I was not feeling well, nor did I really want to be going out, so I tossed on jeans, flip flops, a sweatshirt and a hat...sans make-up, too. Once we got there, I noticed this really attractive guy with a gorgeous smile, pretty eyes and broad shoulders sitting at a table full of other guys. It just so happens that was the table we were headed towards--score!

We started talking (seeing as how we were the only two there that didn't really know anyone else) and I was really intrigued by him (and, well, I also happened to think that he was devastatingly handsome--he made me blush...and rarely does an attractive man get me flustered!) Turns out, we were in the same situation (recently broke up with significant other, had been living with them, etc). I got ready to leave and told him so, he asked me if I'd like to go out with him sometime. I said, "I think I'd really like that." He tells me he's not sure if he'd like it but is willing to give it a shot. I laughed & told him it'd be best if we didn't waste either of our time and just not go out. He says, "No, no...I WANT to go out with you, I just don't know if we'll have fun, but I definitely want to find out if we'll have a good time." Mmhmm...the little brat. I got his number. I sent him a text that night. He sent me one back, saying something scandalous along the lines of, "Was hoping that was you vibrating in my pocket..." Can you say, PLAYER? ;)

We went on our first date a few weeks later, to an adorable little wine cafe (where, unbeknownst to him, one of his ex-girlfriends friends worked ... awkwarrrrrrd!) I called my mom the next morning to tell her that I had met the man I was going to marry. I had never felt more sure of anything in my life before.

We continued to casually see one another, but suddenly, he just sort of fell off the face of the earth. No response to my phone calls text messages (who am I kidding? I didn't dare call him first!), so I sent him an email, hoping everything was okay. His response came 11...yep, eleven days later. It was nice, but he told me he was trying to work things out with his ex and he didn't want to drag me through that. ouch. Bad timing, I guess.

I had been going on dates with other guys while Mr. Lukie and I were dating and when he blew me off like that, I began pursuing things a bit more seriously with one of the other guys losers I was dating. I hadn't stopped thinking about Mr. Lukie, though. After all, I was supposed to marry him!

Several months later, I got a text message from a number I didn't recognize. It was Mr. Lukie, contacting me to tell me that he couldn't live without me and that he wanted to marry me! (Okay, okay...maybe that's NOT how it went down...) He asked me if I would meet him for a drink that week, because he had been doing some soul searching and a lot of deep thinking over the past few months and wanted to talk to me about it. 

I felt conflicted. I had a boyfriend, but I continually thought about Mr. Lukie. Things with him felt so unfinished, unresolved. I was hoping that meeting him for a drink would provide some closure...and I was sort of hoping he would be a jerk so that I could write him off for good and just be done with him. But he wasn't. He was sweet and kind, vulnerable and, damn if he didn't look even better than he did the night I met him. He told me about finding himself back on the path, walking with God, and that he hadn't known that side of me until he had stalked me found me on myspace. He was relieved & happy to know that I was a Christian, and he wanted to know if I was walking the same path he was.

Unfortunately, the timing was still not right. I was fairly happy in the relationship I was in and Mr. Lukie had blown me off once before--I wasn't about to break up with someone just to give him the opportunity to break my heart again. We kept in touch and remained friends, and stayed up to date on the general happenings in one anothers lives via text. He would text me once a week or so and just say, "I hope you are having a great week!" He reminded me to let him know when I was single again...but in the most respectful way possible.

Eventually, I broke up with my boyfriend (someone holding you hostage in your own bedroom will cause a person to ditch the relationship, really quickly). Part of me wanted to text Mr. Lukie immediately, "I BROKE UP WITH MY BOYFRIEND!!! I'M SINGLE!!! ARE YOU READY TO GET MARRIED?" but somehow, I refrained from doing so. A few weeks later, I received my usual text message from him, "I hope you are having a great week..." but this time, he added on, "...are you single yet?" I think I probably made him wait a whole, oh, I don't know 10 minutes before responding, "Actually...I am!" (Hey, game-playing is so not my forte!)

And do you know what the little bugger's response was? "Great! Pick you up this Friday at 8pm for Part II?"

And so it was. April 4, 2008, he was knocking on my door (15 minutes early) to pick me up, looking and smelling delicious. My stomach was full of butterflies. I mean, I was going on my second First Date with the man I was going to marry. Of course I was nervous! We went to a fab little restaurant/bar on the beach, then strolled in the sand and caught up on the past six months of life.

We dated casually (while both still dating other people--ugh. I was only dating because he was, and he says he was only dating because I was, but I so don't believe that one...he was a total Player) for several months. It wasn't until right around his 35th birthday (the end of July) that we he finally stopped seeing other people. (It might have taken me a bit longer...) By the time my 26th birthday rolled around (the beginning of September), we were inseparable. We decided on a long weekend getaway to Mammoth in November that we were in this for the long haul and wanted to start taking the steps necessary towards marriage. (Nevermind that I had been ready to do this since, ohhhh, I dunno...the night I met the man?!)

February brought the proposal.
March brought the wedding date set in stone.
April brought the elopement to the courthouse.

And here we are, 7 months, 17 days later. All married 'n stuff.

When you know...you know.

And if you don't? Just ask the girl ;)

7 comments:

  1. Cute story :) And I guess sometimes, you just do know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story!

    I never really shared ALL the details of mine because all of that high school stuff is so juvenile. :) But this is such a great instance of just knowing. So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great story! So cool.

    I am happy for the two you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! Sometimes perseverance really pays!!

    Totally off topic.. but how is your gluten-free life going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, glad it all worked out for you and thanks for your honesty, sometimes love takes us for surprise when we least expect it! I wanted to thank you for your kind advice, it was well needed and I appreciate it so much! Thanks for being there. I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this story. I'm glad brought you two back together! :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP