Wednesday, January 27, 2010

School...And Life As A Housewife

Last week marked the first week of school. It was exciting. And time consuming. Especially when you're trying to crash ALL of the classes you need. I was trying to take Anatomy, Physiology, Organic Chemistry, and Microbiology, but I don't have the pre-requisites met for Physio, so that class will have to wait until summer. Which, of course, will now put me behind 1 semester, which was not planned for. 
And you know me. I'm a PLANNER, people! I struggled with this for about 10 minutes and then decided that it was completely out of my control and I refuse to fight it. It won't do me any good, anyway. And, as with most things like this, I'm pretty sure I'll look back on it and say, "Ohhhh...so that's why things worked out the way they did, huh God?"


It felt great to be back on my alma mater's campus. I just sorta forgot how what a hilly campus she is. And my calves reminded me of it allllll week long. I also sorta forgot where the buildings are located on campus, so I spent several minutes out of each day trying to figure out where in the heck I was. Nothing makes you feel like a mature student more than having to stop and ask a pre-pubescent looking gal where the Arts & Letters Building is located, only to have her look at you like you just don't belong on campus. Ohhhh but I do, little one!


My days are going something like this:


7AM: Wake up & do some light housework (making the bed, emptying the trash/recycling, sweeping the kitchen/entryway, wiping down the bathroom & kitchen and straightening the living room.
7:30AM: Breakfast & hot tea. Soon to be breakfast, hot tea and devotions--exciting!!
8:30AM: Tidying myself up for the day--a quick shower, brushing of the teeth, and sometimes a light spattering of make up. But not often.
9:00AM: Begin studying. Reading about Organic Chemistry? Not so alluring, people. Reading about Human Anatomy? Much more interesting, but I'd still rather be reading some fluffy chick lit instead.
11:00AM: Gym time!
12:00PM: Get dressed & ready for class. If it is Monday or Wednesday. Must be at school by 1PM for Anatomy Lecture, to be followed at 4PM for OChem Lecture.
6:00PM: Arrive home. Again, if it is Monday or Wednesday. If Mr. Lukie is off, we cook dinner, eat, lounge & I get back to studying. Usually he is forced to quiz me with flashcards for Anatomy. Lucky guy! If Mr. Lukie is at work, I grab a snack and hit the books, solo.


Tuesdays & Thursdays follow suit in much the same way, except that I only have Human Anatomy Lab (with real cadavers, folks! 'Tis truly amazing!) from 5PM-7:40PM. Thus, if Mr. Lukie is off, he has din ready for me when I get home around 8PM. 


And somewhere, in between those hours, I run to the grocery store or Target. Walk the dogs. Bake cookies and banana bread. And sneak in some additional light housework.


I'm LOVING school. I'm LOVING feeling mentally exhausted when I go to bed at night. Knowing that my exhaustion is due to exerting lots and lots of brainpower feels so rewarding and fulfilling. (As opposed to coming home from work exhausted, due to lack of mental stimulation, feeling useless and unfulfilled).


I'm also LOVING being a housewife, of sorts. I love knowing that Mr. Lukie walks into a super tidy, super clean house in the morning when he arrives home from work. I love being able to take care of him properly (in my way of taking care of him properly) by having a hot breakfast and coffee waiting for him when he walks in the door. With a clean, good smelling house. And happy dogs. And most especially, a happy wife. A mentally tired, studious, happy wife.


Of course, none of these things would be possible if it weren't for that handsome hubby of mine, affording me the opportunity to quit working in the corporate world to begin working on our future. My life is filled with blessings these days--and even those not-so-fun things are being viewed as blessings from my eyes, once again. Just as they should have been all along.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying this stage of life! There is nothing better than knowing you've made your home a happy place for your hubby to come home to. I love that!

    Real cadavers? :shudders: You're a bigger woman than I! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay I'm happy to hear things are going so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your schedule!

    I *wish* that I were able to do more cleaning and housewifey things now that I'm at home! Maybe in time Lizzy will cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear this, Mrs. Lukie!! You are one motivated lady... It is inspiring :)

    I am a full-time student (doing generals), working & housewife! I can totally relate to being busy and exhuasted... but thankful for a fantastic husband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glade you are loving school! That is so important because nursing school is no walk in the park! Sounds like you have a tough semester... Enjoy your time off from work, and being a house wife :) Your much better at it than I was when I was in school, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow sounds like a great stage in your life. I too miss my old school. I loved the campus and sometimes miss being a student, especially working around them everyday. Glad you're enjoying your time back, but don't forget to throw some fun in too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you girl! This is EXACTLY something I would have written one year ago today. Corporate America sucked the energy out of me and I just loved being a student and housewife instead. Now I'm just a housewife and I have to say...it ROCKS!!! A clean house all the time.....HEAVEN!!

    You're very blessed to have this opportunity and that Mr. Lukie is able to support you both. God is good, no?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need some of your willpower and energy! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, and enjoy! I truly miss going to school. I want to go back once the kids are out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The house is clean and you have breakfast waiting?

    Um...Could you talk to my wife?

    (P.S. She'll kill me if she reads this)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that your schooling is going well that you love housework and being there for your hubby. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so, so. happy for you my friend. It is great seeing things going your way :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP