Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Secret to a Clean House

I've received a lot of questions lately about how I manage my "job" as a part-time housewife (while also being a full-time student). I made a brief mention of this in one of my Q-n-A posts last week, but wanted to dedicate an entire post to this in the hopes of sharing my secret with someone else who can benefit.


Around the end of December, I was Googling time management stuff--I was trying to figure out how to plan my schedule to allow me to have Quiet Time daily, keep the house clean, stay on top of my schoolwork/studying AND serve my husband--when I ran across the website that changed my Cleaning Life forever :)


If you're like us, we would spend 4-5 hours each one day over the weekend (whichever day Mr. Lukie wasn't at the fire station, of course!) and devote it to cleaning the house (not to mention the additional few hours spent doing the yard, etc). I was so, so sick of us spending half of our beautiful day indoors, and I was also so, so sick of living in a semi dirty house until the following weekend, when it was cleaning day again.


Enter Motivated Moms. For a measly $8, I downloaded a PDF chore list that begins on January 1, 2010 and ends on December 31, 2010. There is the list of Daily Chores (things such as wiping down countertops & sinks, emptying trash, sweeping kitchen/entryway, feeding dogs, Quiet Time, taking vitamins, exercising, etc). The Daily Chores take me all of 20 minutes to do. Then, there is the Individual Daily List that breaks down each day of the year into separate chores (things such as cleaning glass in the master bedroom, cleaning bathroom mirrors, clean out purse/wallet, file bills, clean all light switches and pick one box/bag of clutter & sort through it). The Individual Daily List takes me anywhere from 5 minutes (one day per weekend has only 1 minor chore on it) to 30 minutes. So, total, I spend no more than 1 hour per day on housework. It's the first thing I do when I get up in the morning so it doesn't haunt me for the rest of the day.


We have printed out our Chore List and have it on a clipboard that we keep in the kitchen. We check off each item as it is done so that when I am unable to complete everything (or there are things I can't do, such as clean the light fixtures, because I'm not tall enough to reach), Mr. Lukie can look at the list and finish what hasn't been done yet.


I know it is a bit Type A, so not everyone will find this to be nearly as cool or as handy as I do...but we haven't spent 5 hours cleaning in one sitting since December 31, 2009 and I am a-ok with that!


Happy Housekeeping!


13 comments:

  1. what a great idea! I will have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth dropped open when I read this because I am one of those zany (OCD) clean freaks who spends a countless hours cleaning floorboard to ceiling fixtures on a regular. Often unnecessary and a big time waster. So this would be perfect for me to begin a routine where I drop down my cleaning a notch and work on maintenance.
    Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds like such a great way to keep up with what needs to be cleaned thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to become a list keeper, this sounds ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds ideal for your situation! I think mine is a bit different. I've found that when you have six kids and homeschool (they aren't gone for seven hours, five days a week) housework is like "shoveling the sidewalk while it is still snowing". I am constantly doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning!

    I am so happy, my hubby agreed to a housecleaner for me. I wrote out a list and gave her all my stuff that is getting neglected (dusting, mirrors, windows, washing cupboards, ect.) It is so exciting to see those things getting done little by little! The Lord has provided once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds ideal! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. U know that is good! I hired a cleaning lady to roll through here on Monday. We shall see how it goes. One good ole fashion deep cleaning and we "should" be able to maintain. Organization is something I cannot get my family to do! They are junky and pack-RATS! HELP any advice on that one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh hell ya!! I am so excited I WILL be downloading this ASAP! I am the once a weeker too and hate my house in the "in between" stages so much that it makes me NOT want to do the once a week thing. PLUS...with furkids....five to be exact...my house is in a constant state of chaos and dirty-ness!! Thanks so much Sar!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I will definitely be downloading that chore list tonight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing wrong with Type-A and the lists!! I love it! Thanks so much for the tip!! Heading over to get my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful resource! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey whatever it takes to get stuff done...great work!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP