Monday, March 22, 2010

Be Beautiful

I've briefly mentioned that I (we) CrossFit. I started CrossFit hardcore again on January 1st and have been maintaining 4-5 workouts per week. I have NEVER gotten in shape faster in my life than I have since starting CrossFit. Combine that with the Zone Diet and I am PROUD of myself :) 


Anyway, I have had a lot of girlfriends & acquaintances asking me how I've gotten in such great shape so quickly. My aesthetician says to me every month, "Girl! You have GOT to get me on board with these workouts you do! Every month you come in looking better than the previous month!" When I tell girls what I do, they are typically scared away. The CrossFit website looks daunting--deadlifts? Pull ups? Push ups (not on my knees!)?, Power cleans? Snatches? Thrusters? I didn't know what half of these things were before I started, nor could I do even one pull up on my own, or more than 2 push ups without dropping to my knees. In 3.5 months time, I now know how to do every single thing I mentioned above (and with more weight than just the bar!), I can do 5 pull ups on my own (and the rest using a band to assist me) and I can do 100's of push ups (look Ma, no knees!)


The workouts are tough. They make you sore. They make you sweat more in 10 minutes than you have ever sweat during a work out. But the workouts can be scaled to your skill level, making them possible for ANYONE (really!) to do. Once I tell my girlfriends about what I'm doing, they freak. They're afraid they're going to get "bulky" and "big" like a man. I'm not bulky & big like a man--I'm still petite & wear the same size I did prior to beginning CF. Sure, I have visible muscles in my arms, legs, back & abs. But I am by no means 'bulky' or 'big.'


Okay, I will now step off my soapbox about the amazingness that is CrossFit (and no, I have no affiliation with CF, aside from just being a HUGE believer in it). The point of this post was to share what I found while researching stuff on CrossFit to support my statement that females won't get bulky & big by doing these workouts. 


And what I found made me tear up a little. I know you cannot all relate to CrossFit, but I think you get the gist of what this man is saying. He echoes my sentiments wholeheartedly. {And if you are the person who wrote this, please let me know & I will give you credit--I merely found this doing a Google search and don't have any way of linking it to you}


If I were feeling a little more lawless, I’d gather all the copies of Cosmo and Seventeen, douse them in kerosene, and strike a match.  I’d throw in reams of print ads from Calvin Klein and watch with delight as Kate Moss’ stick-thin image was reduced to carbon.  I’d add copies of Shape and Runner’s World until the flames reached toward the heavens, and then I’d crank call the editorial desk at Muscle and Fitness until they stopped publishing pictures of women on steroids.
I’d get the master tapes of America’s Next Top Model and dub over them with “Nasty Girls”, broadcasting the results on every television station in America.  I’d skywrite “CrossFit.com” across the Boston skyline, and gently admonish the hoards of long distance runners trotting along the Charles River—with a bullhorn.
I’d take every woman with mass media-induced ideals of beauty, and I’d show them what it really means to be beautiful.
Beautiful women are strong and powerful.  They are athletes, capable of every feat under the sun.  They have muscles, borne of hard work and sweat.  They gauge their self-worth through accomplishments, not by the numbers on the bathroom scale.  They understand that muscle weighs more than fat, and they love the fact that designer jeans don’t fit over their well-developed quads.
They know that high repetitions using light weights is a path to mediocrity, and “toning” is a complete and utter myth.  They refuse to succumb to the marketers that prey on insecurity, leaving the pre-packaged diet dinners and fat-burning pills on the shelf to pass their expiration date.
Beautiful women train with intensity.  The derive self-image from the quality of their work and their ability to excel.  They don’t wear makeup to the gym, and they wouldn’t be caught dead with a vinyl pink dumbbell.  They move iron, they do pull-ups, they jump, sprint, punch, and kick, and they use the elliptical machine—as a place to hang their jump rope.
They spend their weekends in sport, climbing walls, winning races, and running rivers.  They laugh as they sprint circles around the unschooled, turning the image-obsessed into benchwarmers.  Beautiful women don’t care if they’re soaked in sweat and covered in dirt, if their nails are chipped or their hair out of place.  They care only about quality of life.
Beautiful women are happy, healthy, and strong, and they’re right there beside me, tossing conventional beauty on the ever-growing flames of what used to be.
Be beautiful.

If you have any questions about CrossFit or the Zone Diet, feel free to email me or leave a comment. While I'm certainly no expert, I can try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. The benefit to you is that I can explain things in a "dumbed down" fashion, since that's the only way I understand diet & exercise anyway ;)


10 comments:

  1. You go, girl! I'm sure you look fabulous! Pictures please :)

    I was considering a re-do of P90X after this pregnancy but I may just jump on the cross-fit bandwagon. Jim and I dabbled in it last year but didn't get far. If you're seeing great results, I might just have to join along :)

    Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's awesome!

    My husband gives me some crossfits and I do them whenever I can get my butt in gear. I could learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds like a work-out I wouldn't mind doing. What kind of equiptment do you recommend? Oh, and how long are your CF work-outs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I have been wanting to try Crossfit and trying to get myself to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great you've found a type of workout that you really enjoy. I would really love to do something like that, but it's a little out of my budget right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've never even heard of CrossFit... I should check that out!
    I do however, totally agree with burning all the magazines like that guy suggested! I just finished reading the book "Beauty By God" and she talked extensively about how detrimental ads, TV, and magazines are to females self-esteem and our confidence. That's not beauty -- they're airbrushed fakes!

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would it be really creepy for me to see progress pictures? You know, like before, three months in, and maybe six months in.

    I'm starting at the gym again on Thursday and neeeeerrrrrvous. I'm all fluffy now. Fluffy is not cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG the "I don't want to be bulky" and "I just want to tone" lines drive me NUTS!!! Let's not even talk about the 'toning', but the fear of being bulky, as a female? Let's tell them to say that to professional female bodybuilders and see if they get insulted a little bit hehe. (If it was that easy for women to get bulky...unless you're on something that makes the little man in the boat get enlarged...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some folks in my battalion are doing crossfit...looks intense

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing and I actually need to work on lifting and more lunges and such. I have the running down but really admire your strength, good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP