Tuesday, May 18, 2010

101 in 1001 - #3, #20, #37, #47, #49, #86, #97

I haven't been posting when I've completed something on my "101 in 1001" list. So here is a (mass) update for those which I have photos of to share with you now:


#3: Get my CrossFit Level I Certification - completed 4/24-4/25/10


Mr. Lukie and I had been signed up for the CF Level I Cert since January and were so excited to attend this weekend long certification class. The class teaches the basics of CrossFit--the how & the why. We took the Trainer Certification test that weekend as well and both passed, meaning we are Certified CrossFit Trainers (should we ever wish to use that knowledge to coach others in CrossFit).


Overall, the class was awesome and we learned SO much! I have received many comments & emails about CrossFit and am working on putting together a post to answer questions, give a bit more information about it, and to show you my progress photos so you are able to see how much my body has changed between January and now.


#20: Run & Complete a 10K - completed 4/10/10


We ran the Warrior Dash with a group of friends in April. I posted pictures & more about it here. This was supposed to be a 5K run (3.1 miles...easy peasy, right?) Turns out, some runners from the heat just before ours thought it would be "funny" to remove the markers directing us where the course was. Needless to say, we ended up running a 10K (6.2 miles...my knees hated me) because we got lost. We had to cross a river to get back on course. We also ended up getting a refund for our entry fees, since many of us were not too happy with what had happened.


Needless to say, when I originally posted "Run & Complete a 10K" for my List, I meant it as in signing up to specifically run a 10K. But the conversation my knees had with me after that impromptu 10K convinced me to consider it to be the only 10K I'll ever run :)


#37: In the drive thru at Starbucks, pay for the person behind me, just because - completed April 19, 2010

Background: In the beginning of April, Mr. Lukie and I were on our way home from doing some landscaping at our "new" house. We stopped in Temecula to get a coffee and to use the free wifi so he could register for some Fire Officer classes before they filled up. He sat outside on the patio while I went inside to get a Doppio for him & a Caramel Frapp (no whip, extra caramel, please!) for me. And then I spotted some gluten free cookie things, so I grabbed a bag of those, too...even though I felt guilty because we're on a budget & here I was, splurging. Anyway, I get up to the register and order our drinks & wait for the total. The Barista informs me that our drinks & snack have been taken care of by a previous customer, who loaded a gift card for use on other customers until the gift card ran out of money. How awesome is that?! The Barista said, "The customer wanted me to just say to each person who had their items paid for to 'pay it forward'." 

Fast forward to April 19, 2010: I went to pick up Mr. Lukie's jeans from the seamstress. Our seamstress just so happens to be located next to a very busy Starbucks in San Diego. After picking up his jeans, I slipped into Starbucks and ordered a hot tea. Then I grabbed a gift card and told the Barista I wanted to load some money on it. I explained to her that I wanted her to keep the card at the register and to use it to pay for customers orders until the gift card had run out of money. She was blown away and thought it was the sweetest thing ever. I explained to her that it had happened to husby and me and we were merely 'paying it forward,' and if she could relay those words to the customers I would appreciate it. That was one of the most fun things I think I've ever done!

#47: Make one new girlfriend - completed February 10, 2010
Met a super sweet, super great girl in my Organic Chemistry class (that I dropped). She's 18 and a freshman, so I'm sure you can imagine my surprise at us becoming fast friends. I kept my distance at first, wondering what in the world I could possibly have in common with someone almost 10 years younger than me, but I am SO happy I opened myself up to the idea of making a new friend! Brianna may be younger than I am, but she is wise beyond her years and we have a blast together. One of those people I will truly miss when husby and I make the Big Move.

#49: Build a CrossFit gym for personal use - completed March 2010

This was a timely project that took place over several months, since we had to save up each month for whatever new equipment we wanted to add to it. We have an olympic bar, bumper plates, kettlebells, jump ropes, box jumps (that my super handy hubby constructed from scratch!), paralettes (again, super handy hubby constructed), and medicine balls. It's so cool to just run out into the backyard, pull the necessary equipment out of the garage, set it up & go!

#86: Keep a plant alive - completed May 2010



It became my job to water the house plants when I moved in with Mr. Lukie. I'm not sure why, really. I have a black thumb & made that very clear to him from the beginning. I suppose he was testing me--you know, "If she can keep 2 dogs and a smattering of house plants alive, then she will keep my spawn alive," or something like that.

Needless to say, not only have I kept the house plants (and the 2 dogs) alive, but I coaxed out not 1, but TWO blooms on this Peace Lily! Woot woot! Okay, honey, the dogs are alive and the plants are alive...whaddya say we try keeping some spawn alive? ;)

#97: Eliminate artificial sweetener from my diet - completed May 2010



I drink hot tea everysinglemorning. And I like to add 2 Splenda's to my hot tea. (It used to be 2 tablespoons of sugar, so I never felt guilty about the Splenda). After doing a lot of research on my diet over the past 6 months, artificial sweetener SCARES me. Slowly, I weaned myself down to 1 Splenda, then 1/2 and then, nothing. I had read a lot of great stuff about Agave Nectar, so now I put a dollop of Agave in my hot tea in the morning a few times a week, to add a bit of sweetness. Such a lovely treat!


9 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you. & I use Agave for EVERYTHING. I love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plant post cracked me up because i have the exact same plant in my office, and have kept it alive since January 2009! Which is amazing, really, as I can never keep things at the office alive. Yay for the updates on your list. The Starbucks post, what you did is super kewl. Hopefully others pay it forward as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pay it forward thing is awesome. I hope to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I really need to get rid of artificial sweetener... and I love the paying it forward idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love Agave! Got some for super cheap in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pay it forward thing! I've wanted to do something like that for a while--the gift card is a fantastic idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using Agave more and more often too--it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool about the the pay it forward incident! I had one of my own last week. I was at the store picking up a few things...every line was long and it seemed like people were stocking up for the rest of the year! Some guy saw I only had three items and let me cut in front of him. He said someone did it for him the other day, so he wanted to do it for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah!

    It was great catching up on your latest :)

    And cool that you met some of your goals :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP