Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fire Wife's Kitchen - Chicken Pot Pies

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or 3/4 tsp dried thyme)
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
1/2 c dry white wine (or vermouth)

1 tbsp all-purpose white flour
2/3 c chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
1 jar alfredo sauce (16oz)
3 cups of shredded/chopped chicken breast (or rotisserie chicken)
peas & carrots (I used a 10oz bag of frozen peas & carrots, but have used fresh peas & carrots...I can't tell a difference in taste, so frozen is way easier)
1 1/2 recipes flaky piecrust (or 2 frozen pastry circles/sheets)
1 egg, lightly beaten 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
4. Add onion, garlic & thyme and season lightly with kosher salt & pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft (approx 5-7 minutes). 
5. Add wine & cook until evaporated (but onion is still moist). Sprinkle flour over top of onion & stir until incorporated & slightly thickened.
6. Remove pan from heat & stir in alfredo sauce, then chicken, then peas & carrots. Add more kosher salt and pepper if needed.




7. Using pie crust, drape over ramekin & form into ramekin by pressing into sides & bottom. Leave a small overhang of pie crust on edge of ramekin.
8. Slowly pour filling into prepared ramekins. Cover with pie crust, sealing at edges.

9. Brush pie crust with the beaten egg.




10. Place pot pies on prepared baking sheet & bake until crust is golden brown (45-60 minutes).


11. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.


Yields 4ish pot pies. (Recipe doubles easily)


**Filling can be prepared & pies assembled 1 day ahead of time. Cover & refrigerate, then bake as directed.
**These are my traditional "Baby's Home!" meal that I prepare for new parents when they've arrived home from the hospital; however, I freeze them. Instructions for freezing pot pies: do not brush pie crust with beaten egg. Cover ramekins with foil & freeze. Bake frozen pies, covered with foil, at 425F for 30 minutes. Remove foil, brush pie crust with beaten egg & continue baking until crust is golden brown (another 30 minutes). {I accompany the pot pies with instructions written out on an index card, taped to the top of the ramekins}


(I apologize for the lack of photos--I get so carried away with cooking/baking that I forget to document the whole process)


*Recipe adapted from "Bride & Groom First And Forever Cookbook


5 comments:

  1. Nothing beats homemade pot pie! I make mine in one big pie pan, perfect idea for new Momma's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! We do a lot of chicken pot pies around here. It helps stretch the meat and they are so easy! I use a quick spooned on crust that I don't have to roll out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pot pies are one of my favorite, "welcome home baby" meals to take also! Did you share some of these with the station! My John always has me double all my comfort food recipes...they must be shared with his company! So glad to find your little spot! Another fw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite foods! That looks soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP