Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wedded Wednesday - BIG Decision Making Time



Wedded Wednesday is a collaboration
of married bloggers sharing their inspirations,
anecdotes, struggles and thoughts regarding
the amazing union of two separate people, as one.
 
God has a great sense of humor. In case you were blissfully unaware of that, I thought I'd let you know. 
 
As I alluded to in a previous post, our original plans for, oh, the rest of our lives have been tip-turned over. You know, the plans of me quitting my job (check), going to school full time (check), finishing my pre-requisites by the end of 2010 for nursing school (nope!), starting nursing school in January 2011 (nope!), completing nursing school & passing the NCLEX no later than January 2013 (nope!), finding a job in a hospital (nope!) and then starting a family (...?)
 
To say that we were shaken is an understatement. We were just SURE that God was in agreement with us for our plan to work out. {Cue laughter from the heavens}
 
Since we now know that our way isn't how it's all going down, we're in BIG Decision Making Mode. Lots of prayer. Lots of thinking. Lots of "what-if" scenarios. Lots of number crunching. And lots of researching.
 
We know we don't have to rush making any decisions, and we know that in due time, we will feel lead to the correct decision. But dang if it isn't easy to stress over it and mull it over all day long. 

How do you handle BIG Decision Making Time in your home? Who makes the final BIG Decision?
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Kurt and I discuss everything and make all (major) decisions together. Neither one of us would ever want just one of us to be the sole decision maker, as we like to think of ourselve as a team! :). Go Team Haskell! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your original post about not being able to get all your nursing prereqs in. What a bummer! It's really tough when things don't pan out the way you want them to when you are sure it is what God wants. My thoughts and prayers are with you because I can certainly relate to the pain you must be going through.

    Just a thought- have you thought about being a nursing assistant at the hospital that you are currently volunteering at? I know it's tough working through nursing school, but if you are going to take a little longer, and you feel like you have a little more time in your schedule it's just an idea. Plus, if the job market is tight when you graduate it might be easier to get a job.

    When Jared and I make a big decision, we usually talk about it but ultimately the person who has to make the decision is in charge of making the final call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if you are meant to go into nursing - then maybe your family starting idea might not work right away either. There's always a reason for everything, even if we pull our hair out trying to figure out what at the time. I say if you do end up with the family planning stuff, keep your options open - keep trying for nursing and keep trying for the family. I am pretty sure whichever comes first will be your answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We talk about everything, but in the end, I defer to my hubby. He is the one that is accountable to God for the direction of our family. He has told people at the dept. that if he said we needed to move that he knows I would follow even if I didn't want to. They laughed and said, "no way". Their wives would never move. It made me feel so good when he told them to give me a call and see what I would say. That tells me he is confident in his role as leader in our home. That does a lot for a man.

    As far as plans go, the best saying I ever heard was this, "If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans." Oh so true!

    I will pray for direction. Maybe God is settling you in a different place to prepare you for a whole new role ;)

    Love you, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, dear. I know how frustrating it can be when "our" plans don't line up with "HIS" plans.

    Brandon and I make all big decisions together- financially, logistically, anything major. We generally talk about everything, all pros and cons, then tell each other what our gut feeling is, then make the decision together. We don't always agree, but we know that we each have our best interests at heart and that we would never do anything intentionally to prove a point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is one thing I've learned it's this: The more I plan, the more things change. I am constantly reminded that my plans in life aren't always up to me. We are faced with decisions to make on a regular basis. Some bigger than others. I think the key is to be flexible and know that there are always options. I let my husband make most of our decisions but we definitely talk and pray about it first. I try not to get too fixated on a decision that has been made because I know there is always the possibility of it changing. Remaining positive and relying on other for support or advice is important too. Have faith that things will work out the way they're suppose to and trust that God will never give your more than you can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In terms of big decisions, we pray about it...a LOT. And then we discuss what we think God is calling us to do, and do our best to follow. It isn't always easy, and it doesn't always make sense, but we are doing our best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually I make my own decision, then bring the decision to Tony to hear his opinions. We talk. he agrees with me. We take action. :-) Sometimes we ask for outsider help if our friends or family have been in the same position before and we think they'll be honest about giving feedback.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP