Thursday, July 1, 2010

How I Shop

Mr. Lukie and I are self-professed Health Nuts. But, we're insanely healthy Health Nuts. We're not Junk Food Vegetarians, or Cardio King & Queen. In fact, a lot of what we do--the workouts we do and the way we eat--leave people looking at us like we're nuts. And maybe we are, but we couldn't be more in love with our chosen lifestyle!

I thought I'd share how I shop at the market. A glimpse into the Paleo way of eating, since I've received many emails and questions about it.

1. Shop the perimeter of the store. The aisles are full of processed, nutritionally worthless foods. 

2. Eat fresh stuff.  Real food is perishable--that means it goes bad. If it doesn't go bad, that means it has been loaded with preservatives (chemicals!) and...do you really want to put those into your body? What about baby's body?

3. Eat lots of green stuff. Broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, salad, avocados, bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, brussels sprouts, spinach, celery, kale, peas, green beans.

4. Buy in bulk. Eggs, almonds, protein powder & meat are hot commodities in our house, so we buy these things in bulk {from the farmer's market when possible, otherwise, stores like Costco carry organic/cage-free}.

5. Make a list. And stick to it. If you buy only the items you need on your list, you're less likely to stray by putting that box of Pop Tarts or Mac n Cheese in your cart.

6. Don't shop on an empty stomach. You've heard it before, but it's the truth. If you're starving, you'll throw every single item that looks good (but isn't necessarily good FOR you) in the cart. Don't go in hungry.

Do you have any other tips for making healthy choices at the market?

7 comments:

  1. Menu planning helps me a ton when I go shopping. If I have an idea of what I'm going to be making, then it's much easier to get in and out with things that will be used in a timely manner. Especially with veggies and fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with LeAnna...I write out my menu for the week, and bullet the ingredients I need for each meal. Then, when I go through the store, I only pick up those bulleted things, writing the cost of each item next to it to keep track of my spending before I get to the register!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the meal planning. We havent been doing that lately because its just me and my daughter right now at dinner time but when we did, it was much better. Your way of eating is an inspiration! We need to get our diet on track. My husband has quite the nack for garbage food :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I am also a menu planner. I like Brittney's idea of writing the cost down as you shop. I'm such a careless spender at the grocery store! Maybe this would help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Menu planning all the way! That's how I make sure we are getting enough of everything and eating a balanced diet! Plus it's how I avoid having stuff go bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really intrigued by Crossfit and this diet/lifestyle. I checked into our local and there's a Boot camp I'm interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with the menu planning. That is how I shop as well. I try my best to stay to the perimeter of the store. I do have to venture into the aisle for my kids though- a few crackers, and cereal... and COFFEE. =) However, I am slowly trying to keep myself away, because I always tend to pick up something for myself and hubbs when I'm in the 'pit.' Checking out your Paleo link! Thanks!
    *I'm a new follower by the way! Check out my new blog: http://sanityandamilitarymama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP