Friday, February 11, 2011

About The Bun

Thank you all for the sweet words of congratulations on my super exciting announcement! We are beyond thrilled at this new prospect and cannot believe that we will actually be holding a baby...our baby... in approximately 236 days!

I thought I would relay the details & story to you all by making up my own little question & answer doodad, as opposed to paragraph after paragraph. If you have any questions or want more specific details on anything, leave a comment & I will definitely get back to you :)

1. How long were you trying to conceive, before you actually...conceived?
**I stopped taking the pill in September 2010. It took 3 cycles (but 4.5 months, due to the length of my cycles) to conceive. 

2. Was this time longer or shorter than you anticipated?
**From a "cycles" standpoint, it was MUCH shorter than I had anticipated. But from a "months" standpoint, I was frustrated & ready to throw in the towel. Clearly, I have a lot more work to do in matters of patience.

3. Were you using any special "methods" to assist with conception? 
**Month 1 I didn't. But after the first month, I began using ovulation predictor kits. I had tried to use the Basal Body Temperature method during the first month, but grew tired of it quickly & stopped 2 weeks in. Funny enough, I was "fed up" with not having conceived as of yet, so I began temping on the first day of my last period (last period unbeknownst to me at the time!)

4. What made you decide to take a pregnancy test? (symptoms, missed period, impatient, etc)
**I knew that many pregnancy tests, depending on sensitivity levels, could tell you if you were pregnant up to 10 days past ovulation (which would be about 4 days before your period was to start). Being the impatient person that I am, I took a test at 10DPO, 11DPO and 12DPO. When they all turned up negative, I convinced myself I wasn't pregnant. The morning of the day I would most likely have started my period, I tested & saw a faint line!
5. How many pregnancy tests did you take this go-round? How many were negative, how many were positive?
**I took 5 total--3 were negative, 1 was positive (I just wasn't sure about that faint line yet) and 1 was a digital that was most certainly positive. The negatives were because I was testing too early & not allowing my body to produce the hCG necessary to be detected on the tests.

6. What was your initial reaction when you saw your BFP?
**I took one test the day before I truly found out I was pregnant. It was a Sunday morning. I saw a super duper faint line, but thought I was perhaps imagining it. I called Mr. Lukie in for further investigation. He immediately told me that he saw a line, and my heart started pounding harder & faster. Turns out, he saw the control line, and didn't even notice the faint test line until I pointed it out. Since he didn't notice it immediately, we both discounted the possibility of it being a BFP and decided to pick up a digital on the way home later that day. I ended up picking up a digital that afternoon & taking it, and it came back with a big ol' "Not Pregnant." But...I just knew I was pregnant and wouldn't take no for an answer ;)

The next morning, my alarm went off at 5:15am (as it always does, so I can temp & then get up & get the hubby off to work). Mr. Lukie didn't budge, so I temped and noticed that my temp was higher than it had been for the duration of my chart. I hopped out of bed, snuck into the bathroom & took the digital. It said it takes 3 minutes for results to appear, but it flashed "Pregnant" in about 30 seconds. I started shaking & my heart started pounding, and a lump appeared in my throat. It didn't feel real...

7. Who is the first person you told about your BFP?
**Mr. Lukie, of course!

8. When & how did you tell your spouse? How did he react?
**I grabbed the test and crawled back in bed next to him, where he was still sleeping. When his alarm went off, I asked him if he could look at something for me. He was groggy & still half asleep and he mumbled that he would in a minute. I flipped the light on and handed him the test. (See? I wasn't lying when I said patience is not my virtue!) He squinted at it and then realized it said "Pregnant" on it, and we just laid in bed hugging & smiling (and I was crying). 

This is SO not how I pictured telling him I was pregnant when the time came! I planned on it being all cutesy & creative, but...there are some things in life you just can't control.

9. How far along were you when you received your BFP?
**About 4 weeks 6 days.

10. How far along were you when you made your "official" pregnancy announcement? Why did you choose this time period? 
**Haha...5 weeks 3 days. Prior to getting pregnant, we had discussed when we thought we would make a pregnancy announcement, and we had both agreed to tell our families & closest friends pretty quickly upon finding out, and then waiting until about 12 weeks to make an "official" (ie Facebook) announcement. I laugh because Mr. Lukie was ready to tell everyone & anyone would would listen within hours of us finding out. Instead, we each told our best friends that day, then shared the news a few days later with our families, and then made the "official" announcement 4 days later.

We know it is unconventional to make the announcement so early on, due to the risk of miscarriage, etc. And while we both realize that miscarriage is certainly a possibility for me still, we are of the mindset that, God forbid I miscarry, we will want and need all the support we can get from our families and friends--it is news we would have shared one way or another. We are also of the mindset that the more people we have keeping us & Baby Lukie in prayer, the better. Plus--we're not sure how anyone is able to keep this kind of news a secret for 12 whole weeks!! ;)

11. Have you told your parents yet? If so, how did you spread the good news to them? 
**YES! We sent each of the Grandma's (our moms) flowers with a card that read, "Hi Grandma! Just wanted to let you know that I am looking forward to meeting you in October 2011!! I hope you have a wonderful day! Love, Baby Lukie"


We shared the news with my dad & brother by phone calls--I called my dad & told him I had a question for him. He asked what it was and I said, " Dad, how old are you?" He paused for a minute (confused, I'm assuming), and said, "...57...why?" I said, "Oh, is that too young to be a grandpa?" He burst into happiness & couldn't believe it. He was ecstatic and told me that I had just made his day, so that was a fun phone call to have :)

12. What are your symptoms (if any) now, and how far along are you?
**Extreme fatigue/exhaustion. I could fall asleep anywhere, at any time if given the chance to do so! Waves of nausea are also on the list, but I have yet to get sick, I just get to that uncomfortable "mouth-watering-chills-am-I-or-aren't-I?" stage, and then it passes. I have lots of bloating going on...or I'm carrying twins. I have to unbutton all of my jeans in order to be comfortable in them. Heartburn/indigestion with any fun foods (so I'm sticking with bland stuff, for the most part these days), and last but certainly not least, insanely sore breasts. Hugging is painful, folks :-/

13. Have you been to the doctor yet? If so, how was your first prenatal appointment?
**No, unfortunately. My first appointment is March 1st, and I will be exactly 9 weeks. My doctor doesn't see patients until they are at least 8 weeks, unless they are unsure of their last menstrual period, at which point he will see you sooner in order to get an accurate idea of how far along you are.

14. Inklings as to boy or girl? Single baby or multiple babies? 
**No inklings whatsoever, yet. Is it weird to say that at this point, I don't care if we're having a boy or a girl, that we just want a healthy baby? Pretty much 100% we have a singleton, but oh! how we would both LOVE it if I were pregnant with twins!

15. Will you be finding out the sex of the baby?
**Nooooo! Again, in our talks pre-conception, we had decided that we would most definitely be finding out, as I am a planner and need to know these things. Within minutes of finding out I was pregnant, we both decided we'd like to wait & be surprised--it's one of the last fun surprises life has in store! Plus, I would like to have a natural childbirth, at home (see? Toldja I'm granola!) and I think that not knowing will help me to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I'm ready to give up in the midst of labor pains.

16. Do you have any nicknames you've created already for the baby?
**Yes, of course. "Baby Lukie" s/he was almost immediately dubbed, and shall remain throughout the pregnancy, I am sure.

17. How have you changed your lifestyle (ie: eating habits, exercise routine, etc)?
**I haven't done much changing of the lifestyle, aside from cutting caffeine completely out of my diet (along with all of the other no-no foods & beverages). I'm still eating clean, organic, grain-free, and processed-free foods (as I have been for the past year). I won't introduce any grains back into my diet, even though every single baby book I've read has talked about how "great" these things are for a pregnant woman. I don't buy it and I won't do it.

I'm still doing CrossFit, but have dropped from 5-6 days per week, to about 4 days per week. I'm also no longer following the programming that my box puts up on a daily basis, but am now following the programming on the CrossFit Mom website, doing the 'Advanced' workouts. They still kick my booty, but don't leave me feeling nauseous, dizzy & lightheaded as the regular workouts were when I tried maintaining them.

18. What books (if any) are you already reading & loving?
**I purchased "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" for my Kindle, and Mr. Lukie and I read it together at the beginning of each new week (which in itself melts my heart into one big puddle of girl). I also purchased "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week for the Dad-to-Be," at Barnes & Noble yesterday. Mr. Lukie is insanely excited about his new book (::swoon::) and I prefer "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" to "What to Expect...", but they both have a lot of great information in them.

19. Are you showing yet? What about clothing--maternity, or regular?
**For me & my body as it normally is, I'm showing. People think I'm making this up, until they see me in yoga pants and a slim fitting tank top. There is a bump there, folks, and it's noticeable. How is this possible, as I am only 6w4d? It's especially noticeable after a meal. Fingers crossed this truly is just "bloating" and will diminish in the next few weeks. I don't want to be big as a house!

I'm still wearing my regular clothes, though I've had to banish some jeans to the back of the closet as they won't come close to buttoning anymore. My best friends right now are yoga pants & sports bras, as everything else is just plain uncomfortable. I'm thinking a bella band will be purchased very, very soon. 

20. Have you purchased anything for Baby yet?
**Surprisingly...no! Though I am slowly beginning to look at gender neutral nursery ideas, and I hope to pick up a cute gender neutral outfit or two sometime soon, just because :)

And now, a photos of me at 5 weeks, 2 days (note that this is 1 week ago, and I don't feel that I am "showing" in these pics like I do in the 6 week pics). Oh, and please ignore whatever goofy look is on my face--clearly, I'm a newbie and cannot contain my excitement at documenting my entire body changing leaps & bounds in just 40 short weeks...(why in the world do we do this to ourselves & cause such torture?)

17 comments:

  1. Ahh...I missed the first announcement!

    CONGRATULATIONS! SO exciting! I wish you the best with your pregnancy and hopefully you will get some energy back in the second trimester. = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved every word of this post! I almost "relived" my experience through you, though ours was a little different as it was a total SUPRISE, haha. So so excited for you though. You are going to have one GORGEOUS baby! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun post to read! I love how you told your parents! So cute & thoughtful.

    Surprises are so fun. Waiting to find out really is one of the most exciting moments you will ever experience and you will never forget it! My husband was the one to tell me our baby was a girl and having her handed to me moments later was breathtaking and overwhelming and wonderful. (Also calling people with the news is way more fun when they don't already know!) :)

    Good for you with the natural home birth! I can't wait to hear about your journey. I would be doing that if I could get my husband on board. Depending on how my upcoming birth expereince goes, he might not get to decide next time around! From everything I've read and my first experience with giving birth in a hospital I don't know why more people don't choose home births. Most people think it's crazy (myself included until I read up on it and educated myself) but once you do the research (or experience it first-hand) hospital births (at least in the U.S.) are the ones that seem crazy. Which is why my birth plan is very specific this time around & I had to have a number of ridiculous things approved by my doctor (like being able to move around freely, not have an IV, not be confined to a hospital bed with a fetal monitor strapped to me...I could go on and on....) Just really happy for you and your decision! :)

    Good luck with everything and congratulations again! Love love love this time. There's nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww this is an adorable post and it brought tears to my eyes for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I loved every second of this post! And I adore your belly shots. I remember taking my first one and thinking "Is this REAL? Is this really MY turn?" :)

    I totally get the showing early thing. I felt like I showed right away. At first it was cute...and then by 20 weeks I wondered how on earth I would house this child for another 20 weeks! If you're an early developer like me, I'd suggest the body butter from the Body Shop. HEAVENLY for that stretchy skin :)

    Keep up the posts, mama! I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, this is so exciting. Thanks for letting us share in this unbelievable journey. You are like me...I didn't believe it until I saw it on the digital : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww I totally relived my finding out moments right along with you. I am so excited for you and Mr. Lukie you will be amazing parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this! I've never heard of a bella band before.. I had to google it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're back posting, have I mentioned how much I love to read you?
    I am so thrilled for you guys! I can read HAPPINESS written on the look of your face! May this be the blessed beggining of the most pure journey!
    Thank you so much for sharing it, this definitely is the highlight of my day!
    I look forward to the many posts to come,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cute, and I am so happy for you!!! :) I'm sure the "bump" is just bloating for now... I got the same thing with Landon and now Ava. It went away after about week 10-12, and then I started officially showing with Landon when I was about 24-25 weeks pregnant, and about 19-20 weeks with Ava. You are tiny and in GREAT shape so you might show sooner, but I bet the bloating bump will go away for at least a little while! :) For now, I definitely can't even see it in your pics!!! You look fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post, Sarah. Loved how you told your parents. And sorry girlie, NOT looking preggers yet, but I can't wait to see the baby bump when it actually appears, LOL. Cute pants, BTW.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! I liked the Q&A questions you used... so informative. Congratulations!! And I think it sounds so fun to wait and find out the gender when the baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So exciting! :) and YOU my friend are RIPPED! DANG. I wish I looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just so excited for you! Gosh, look at your abs! You look like a movie star! LOL! You do work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so exciting to read about!! :)
    And I LOVE the way you "told" the grandmas-to-be! So fun!

    Check out the giveaway I'm hosting on my blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love this post! And I LOVE that you aren't finding out the sex! I've always wanted to, but have decided that I'm not, because you're right, it's one of the last true surprises out there. I just hope my future husband/father of my children is okay with that ;)

    Congrats again, so happy for all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look GREAT! You're going to be such a great mommy! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP