Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Birth Story of Ella Grace - Part II


Mr. Lukie called our midwife, Karen, to let her know that my water had broken. It was about 3pm at this point and I really had no idea what to expect next. Karen asked us to time my contractions and to call her when they were at least 5 minutes apart and lasting between 45 and 60 seconds. She also advised me to rest, hydrate and eat, because we were going to have a baby soon and I needed to save my energy for laboring. Of course, in my fantasies, I am Super Woman, so do you think I heeded her advice? Nope. Instead, I ran around, cleaning & preparing the house for the complete unknown.

Two hours later, we called Karen to let her know that my contractions were 5 minutes apart and lasting 45 to 60 seconds. She let us know she’d be at our house by 6pm.

It was at this time that I decided I wanted to go for a walk to the mailbox and back. Why, I’ll never know, because we had to stop every few minutes so that I could lace my hands behind Mr. Lukie’s neck, lean my head into his chest and sway sway sway my hips through a contraction. It was the longest walk to the mailbox I’ve ever taken.

Karen arrived right around 6pm and checked me; I was 7 centimeters dilated. She instructed Mr. Lukie to get the birthing tub set up in our bedroom & begin filling it with water, while she called her assistant, Carol, and told her it was time to come to our house. From this point forward, I lost track of time, as labor progressed and I had to dig deep within myself to find the ability to move through each contraction.

Mr. Lukie and I had chosen to use HypnoBabies to help manage the pain during labor. We were (and are) both firm believers in this method of pain management for a natural childbirth; however, I didn’t use HypnoBabies in the way that we had practiced and were taught to. When I reached 7 centimeters, I closed my eyes and didn’t open them again until my baby was placed on my chest. I went to a place I’ve never been before—deep, deep inside of myself—and I drew strength, energy, willpower, to battle through. I imagined my baby making the descent into the birth canal and with each contraction, I “Ahhhhed” her down further. The mind is a very, very powerful tool, and I used it to my advantage, only thinking and feeling positive things.

Yes, contractions were becoming more and more intense. The pressure was quite noticeable. There was no denying that labor was an all-consuming task. There was also no denying that at the rate I was progressing, we would be holding a baby in our arms in just a few more hours.

[Part III to follow...]

5 comments:

  1. Labor, the all consuming task. YES, that explains it perfectly! I'm an eye closer, too. I close them and don't open them until baby is out. A friend and I were talking the other day about how laboring is a "selfish" time. A perfectly acceptable selfish time. A time when we can think about what we're doing, and the baby and how we need strength from the Lord, and that's it! I'll never forget when Q was born, and I was in labor and told my Mom I wanted her to be quiet. Haha! That was the only time in my life I could have gotten away with that...

    Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! it's killing me... I Need the whole story... LOL. You are SO BRAVE! I am so proud of you.
    I hope you weren't in so much pain although there must been some real pain going on.
    How long did it take? Is it true what they say that you just forgot about it all once you held her in your arms? Did you also felt she was a baby girl all along? OK I'll stop it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your baby girl! I've been wandering when your baby was going to make an appearance! So exciting

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP