Monday, October 10, 2011

The Birth Story of Ella Grace - Part III

{Part I can be read here & Part II can be read here}

I found myself in the birth tub just before Carol arrived, which greatly helped to relax me and relieve some of the pressure the contractions produced. The water was warm and I felt weightless (imagine—feeling weightless at 37 weeks pregnant, HA!) and buoyant in the tub. Matt poured water over my chest and down my back at my request.

I would start to get tired of being in the tub, so I would get out, dry off and do one of a few things: get in bed in a side lying or all fours position, kneel on the ground and lean on the bed, walk the hallway with Mr. Lukie, swaying my hips dramatically from side to side, sitting backwards on the toilet while resting my head on the tank (topped with pillows), or in a deep squatting position with Mr. Lukie holding me up by my underarms.

By 10pm, I told Karen that I felt like I needed to push. I was in the tub, and she told me to listen to my body and do as it told me to. With the next contraction, I pushed for the first time. It felt amazing to push, and so it was for the next several hours. 20 minutes in the tub, pushing while floating, pushing while draped over the side of the tub, pushing while on my hands and knees. 20 minutes on the bed, pushing while lying on my side, pushing while on my hands and knees, pushing while in the fetal position. 20 minutes on the ground, pushing while on my knees, leaning over the bed. 20 minutes on the birth ball, pushing while draped over it, rocking & rolling, back and forth, side to side.

Unbeknownst to me, I had been pushing for 4 hours. Every 20 minutes or so, Karen or Carol would take my blood pressure & pulse, as well as use the Doppler to monitor Baby Lukie’s heartbeat. Even during the strongest of contractions & pushing, Baby Lukie kept an amazing heart rate. Karen had anticipated the arrival of a baby around 1am, based on how things had been progressing in the beginning. It was now 2am and there was no baby in sight. I was dilated to 9 ½ centimeters, but was pushing against the smallest cervical lip. Even when Karen tried to hold the lip down during a push, baby just wasn’t descending as expected. With each push I gave, my cervix was beginning to swell, causing a regression in labor. {Of course, I never knew any of this until much later, because my midwife rocked & only shared positive, encouraging news with me to keep my morale up}.

Through an internal exam palpating the baby’s fontanels, Karen determined that the baby was presenting acynclitic (her ear was tucked to her shoulder, instead of her chin being tucked to her chest). In an attempt to get the baby to move her head into the birthing position, I spent from 2am-3am breathing through the contractions, instead of pushing through them, while Karen had me in several different positions. After an hour of no progress in getting the baby to change positions, I threw in the towel. 

It was decided at 5am on September 21st, due to extreme exhaustion and the baby presenting acynclitic, that we would be having our baby at the hospital.

[Part IV to follow...]

7 comments:

  1. I am loving your story so far, and the fact that Ella is in your arms today, I know that it ended happily....but I am interested to see how her birth played out. I was (and still am since I don't know the end) hoping you got your natural birth.
    I can't wait to see more pictures of your sweet little girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this sounds so much like Jen's story! Hopefully she'll blog hers, but my goodness, you guys both had a time! Speaking of which, she finally had her girl at 6 this morning. ;)

    The best result ends in a healthy baby, so thankful this was your case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... I'm so Glad everything wen't well.. I can't imagine how hard the waiting was...specially when the anxiety is also playing a big role, I mean it's your very first baby we are talking about.
    I hope Part IV comes soon and I hope I get to see more pics of that precious little thing of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. weeeee want pictures!!!!! :) not to be pushy or anything..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did fantastic through everything that I've read, I would probably have been begging for pain meds. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh That's RIGHT Kelci, WE NEED PICS.... just sayin' .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy COW! I think I sort of just assumed you had a peaceful and uneventful birth at home!

    Can't wait to hear the next portion!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP